Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Allie: 8 and 9 weeks

Wow, it's been a busy couple of weeks. Not really in terms of having to do things but just with life in general. Allie is 9 weeks old today. She also had her 2 month well check today. My little girl is not very little!! She's already 23 3/4 inches long and wait for this...13.13 pounds. I have such a roly poly on my hands. Dawson is almost 3 (on Friday) and he only weighs 30 pounds. I have a string bean and a butterball.
Christmas is right around the corner and so is D's birthday.

Now something I could use some help with. When D was born I decided to do his vaccinations on a delayed schedule. This way he never received more than 2 shots at a time and sometimes only one if it was a combination shot. I've really been struggling with what to do for Allie. Today I allowed her to receive the rotavirus vaccination and the Hib vaccination. I absolutely do not want her to get the Dtap vacc until after she's 6 months old if at all. I didn't know this with D but apparently there are a lot of cases of SIDS occurring right after receiving this vaccine and that scares me beyond belief. She's not in daycare with no plans of daycare and neither is D. So what do you do for your child's vaccinations?

4 comments:

Nobodys Nothings said...

both of my children have had/are having their vaccinations on schedule. neither has a history of reactions.

Beth said...

Honestly, I'd do the DTAP. I do the delayed schedule with both kids, but pertussis scares me so, so much. That is one of the ones that the illness risks outweigh the vaccine risks to me.

Firehouse mama said...

Beth, Pertussis scares the hell out of me too. I actually had the adult vaccine before I conceived Allie...but that's the one that they say causes the cases of supposed SIDS b/c it can affect the child's breathing. I will probably let her get it, but it may be after 6 months when the SIDS risk goes down anyway.

Beth said...

You've gotta go with your gut, and I know you'll make the best decision for you and your family based on the information you have and your circumstances. I had actually never heard about the SIDS connection, so I'm going to do some reading about that before the new baby comes.